Whether it is called a liquor store, package store, wine shop, or wine store, there are many retailers that go to great lengths to feature wine. But what makes for a good wine retailer? Certainly it starts with a good selection of wine (both breadth and depth). But what else makes for a good wine merchant? There are several characteristics that set some wine shops above others. These include:
- Well laid out and easy to understand wine displays
- A knowledgeable staff that is willing to take the time to explain and educate
- A staff that is devoid of any form of attitude or wine snobbery
- Case discounts, especially mixed case discounts
- Sponsor wine events such as in-store tasting and wine dinners with local restaurants
These characteristics, even more than the depth and breadth of wine selection, can make or break the wine buying experience for the wine consumer.